The O’Leary family was not new to the funeral business when they started up in 1977. The original Reagan and O’Leary Funeral Home was located at 53rd and Chester Ave in South West Philadelphia. Uncle Thomas Reagan started his funeral home back in 1921. He enlisted the help of his Sister Margaret’s sons, Edward, Maurice, Jack, Reds, and Louie to help run his business. Reds learned the business from “the best” his Uncle Thomas and older brother Edward who sadly passed away at a young age. Red’s dream was to one day own his own Funeral Home in Holy Cross Parish where he moved his family in 1948. Reds and his oldest son Tom plotted and planned for years to make his dream come true and in 1977 younger brother Bill joined in and the three men finally opened the doors to “O’Leary Funeral Home”.
It was a jubilant time in the O’Leary family. Tom and his growing family moved into the top floor of the Funeral Home and the business slowly began to grow and prosper.